- City population:107,000
- City/Urban area:3,195
- Population Density:Less than 300 inhabitants per km²
- GDP - country:USD 4,763
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Behbahan, Iran, Islamic Republic of
Extending the tradition of learning in a historical city
Behbahan’s history reaches back to the Sassanian period, during which the ancient city of Arjan was built. The city of Behbahan, built on its ruins, still takes pride in its strong tradition of learning.
Vision and motivation
In building a learning city and increasing access to lifelong learning, Behbahan's major goal is to reduce violence, unemployment and social inequality.
Behbahan envisages a city that has quality teachers, continuous training programmes, early childhood education and equal learning opportunities for everyone.
Challenges and goals
Currently, the city faces challenges with its further development. By joining the GNLC and taking a new approach, Behbahan will create entrepreneurial citizens, manage human resources and teach people to live peacefully, using modern technologies and materials to facilitate learning. The city aims to help citizens find mental, physical and cultural stability and to enhance social cohesion and individual empowerment.
Plan and implementation
Behbahan has adopted a detailed action plan that includes the following aspects:
- Increasing teacher training programmes and access to lifelong learning tests using the Industrial Resources Budget;
- Promoting cross-sectoral learning;
- Fostering a strong partnership with local NGOs, learning organizations and institutions;
- Organizing scientific, social, educational and cultural workshops to enhance people’s living standards;
- Facilitating equal access to learning activities;
- Hosting workshops and classes in public places, primary schools, high schools and universities in collaboration with educational and scientific organizations.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.