- City population:37,396
- City/Urban area:124,53 km²
- Population Density:Less than 300 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD 30,527
- Average number of years of schooling:19
Think globally and act locally
Learning is the main answer to the question about the history and the identity of our city, a landmark in the sector of education for the whole area.
Vision and motivation
Fermo is a city which builds its urban development on education, which is regarded as the key factor for social and economic development. Therefore its policies are aimed at promoting “learning”, both in formal and informal contexts, from primary school to higher education. Other priorities are social inclusion, international cultural exchanges and cooperation.
Challenges and goals
Fermo is committed to pursuing the Objectives for Sustainable Development set out in the United Nations 2030 Agenda and to raising public awareness of these through learning actions. The greatest challenge for the whole community is to foster development and economic well-being whilst respecting and improving environmental and cultural heritage
Plan and implementation
Fermo is implementing the following actions:
- A Sustainable Urban Development Strategy in the framework of the European Agenda for Sustainable Development financed by the Marche Region (FESR 1301/2013)
- A local network of educational institutions, coordinated by the University College San Domenico, Scientific Advisor of the project, which will become an association to involve all stakeholders : Fermo città dell’apprendimento [Fermo, city of learning]. The mission of this non-profit body will be to organize a programme of actions and events to foster the idea of a Learning City within the community and to cooperate with other cities of the UNESCO GNLC
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.