- City population:30,000
- City/Urban area:3,000
- Population Density:Less than 300 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Less than $10,000
- GDP - country:n/a
- Average number of years of schooling:6
Building a Learning City through community involvement
Mayo-Baléo is a municipality located in the department of Faro-et-Déo in Cameroon’s Adamawa Region. It is the capital of the Commune of Mayo-Baléo.
Vision and motivation
In Mayo-Baléo, building a Learning City calls for community involvement and improvements to educational facilities, including an increase in the number of classrooms in schools and learning centres. In order to encourage citizens’ desire to learn, the municipality is constantly looking for ways to improve public services in the area.
Challenges and goals
Mayo-Baléo faces challenges related to: poverty; the availability of educational facilities; health and sanitation; and basic infrastructure to support the local economy. Its Learning City strategy aims to address these challenges and empower citizens by creating an environment conducive to individual and community participation in local development processes.
Plan and implementation
In 2009, Mayo-Baléo launched a communal development plan setting out its objectives and key action points. A revised plan was drawn up in 2016 following consultations with local communities, resulting in the definition of three priority areas:
- environmental issues and public health (to improve access to health facilities and drinking water; promote the construction of renewable energy facilities; and enhance market infrastructure);
- school facilities and resources (to increase the number of classrooms in schools; reuse existing and create new educational materials for students and staff; and upgrade local infrastructure); and
- civic participation (to encourage citizens to participate in local government decision-making processes by bringing together representatives from the municipality, communities and local associations).
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.