- City population:114,127
- City/Urban area:50 km²
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP - country:2,185 USD
- Average number of years of schooling:9.8
Opening the gateway to lifelong learning
The successful opening of the Centre of Adult Education in Nikopol is a great example of fruitful cooperation between local NGOs and stakeholders from Europe’s business sector.
Vision and motivation
By promoting lifelong learning, the city of Nikopol aims to:
- preserve the historic uniqueness and cultural heritage of the Nikopol community;
- foster social development by providing learning opportunities;
- establish partnership with other member cities in the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC).
Challenges and goals
By joining the UNESCO GNLC, Nikopol hopes to discover new opportunities for (1) sharing its historic uniqueness and cultural heritage as a Hetmanate state and partnering with other UNESCO GNLC cities with historic significance, (2) developing more centres of adult education, and (3) building on its existing network of information, sociocultural and tourist centres based in the city’s libraries.
Plan and implementation
At the policy level, Nikopol City Council values its cooperation with the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL), and supports community initiatives aimed at adult learning and continuing education. The most promising initiatives will be included in the city’s strategic plan for sustainable development.
At the practical level, Nikopol is ready to embrace the lifelong learning concept. The city has developed its educational infrastructure in order to advance its learning programmes.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.