- City population:341,153
- City/Urban area:102
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 8,000
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Promoting the principles of lifelong learning
The city of Plovdiv is the second largest city in Bulgaria and it is the European Capital of Culture for 2019. Considering its attractive geographic location and multicultural environment, Plovdiv tries to attract young people to work and live in the city.
Vision & Motivation
Plovdiv promotes local policies and sustainable socio-political development to create an appropriate environment for living. Plovdiv tries to provide its residents with various opportunities in education, self-development and sustainable development. By joining the GNLC, it hopes to gain understanding of innovative approaches in learning and sustainable development.
Challenges & Areas of Support
Plovdiv needs to find ways to overcome the following challenges to implement lifelong learning for all.
- Lack of sustainable partnerships
- Participation of all stakeholders
- Use of modern technology
- Political will and ambition
Plan and Implementation
To establish innovative educational practices, Plovdiv plans to implement the learning city concept through a set of activities which includes:
- Needs assessment of the city, and developing appropriate themes for life lifelong learning.
- Review of education documents to accommodate the concept of lifelong learning
- Establishing a local authority for lifelong learning
- Motivating citizens for participation and active learning
- Development of sustainable partnership
- Setting up and promotion of different measures and initiatives
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.