- City population:32,977
- City/Urban area:477
- Population Density:Less than 300 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between USD 10,000 and USD 15,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 18,002
- Average number of years of schooling:12
An ancient city, home to gods, scientists and humanists
Samos is one of the Aegean Islands of Greece. It is the birthplace of the mathematician, Pythagoras; the astronomer, Aristarchus; and the philosopher, Epicurus. It is also the home of the goddess, Hera; the historian, Herodotus; and the fable writer, Aesop.
Vision and Motivation
Samos is building a strong cultural profile that takes into consideration the long-term benefits for the city and its citizens. It is currently applying to compete for the title of European Capital of Culture 2021.
Challenges and Goals
The city faces various socio-economic and cultural challenges, which have been exacerbated by the ongoing refugee crisis. Samos’ proximity to Turkey has led to a growing influx of refugees since 2016. This situation calls for the implementation of cultural and educational initiatives to address issues of diversity.
Samos also recognizes that its status as an island presents further challenges.
Plan and Implementation
Samos has designed a multilayered programme that emphasizes cooperation with its citizens, centred on two main pillars:
- educational training and community development programmes: Samos has promoted multicultural dialogue through thematic workshops, seminars, concerts and exhibitions. The city is building a strong cultural profile as it prepares its application to be nominated European Capital of Culture 2021. In addition, Samos holds workshops, consultancy sessions and seminars to increase employment opportunities;
- ICTs and knowledge labs: Samos has designed a universally accessible scientific and educational programme focusing on lifelong learning, quality education, gender equality, civic participation, social inclusion, digital literacy and professional development.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.