- City population:11,378,712
- City/Urban area:1,991
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 7,924
- Average number of years of schooling:11
Establishing a learning network within the city
Adjacent to Hong Kong and Macao, Shenzhen was China’s first special economic zone. The city is committed to promoting healthy and steady economic growth and sustainable development.
Vision and motivation
In building a learning city, Shenzhen aims to stimulate the city’s vitality, promote urban innovation and improve the city’s core competitiveness, essentially leading to an improvement in Shenzhen’s sustainable development.
Shenzhen expects to strengthen cultural exchanges among member cities, learning from each city’s extensive experiences while improving and advancing its own development in lifelong learning.
Challenges and goals
Based on the city’s action plan, Shenzhen will promote learning in families, communities and the workplace actively, and will extend the use of modern learning technologies as well as boosting resource mobilization and utilization.
Plan and implementation
The Shenzhen Government is committed to building and promoting a learning city, placing great emphasis on strengthening talent training and realizing each individual’s potential completely, while ensuring economic development and the livelihood of the people.
The Shenzhen Municipal Government has been engaged actively in building a learning city using the following measures:
- The launch of a Lifelong Learning Network Website (www.szlll.net.cn) for citizens of Shenzhen; featuring more than 100 free courses on a wide range of topics, it serves the purpose of building a learning city by integrating educational resources.
- The establishment of a network of community colleges, training schools, education centres and workstations. Currently, the number of participating institutions has reached 270.
- Shenzhen plans to focus on human resources development and individual satisfaction.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.