- City population:637,436
- City/Urban area:450.38
- Population Density:Between 300 and 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between USD 15,000 and USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD 9,081.07
- Average number of years of schooling:10.6
Towards an egalitarian city
Sorocaba is one of the oldest and most education-oriented cities in Brazil, and its historical traditions extend into the city’s development.
Vision and motivation
The main motivation for Sorocaba to become a learning city is to foster the potential for lifelong learning, which will transfer the city into an egalitarian one, improving the quality of life for its citizens.
The majority of the learning programmes and activities in Sorocaba will therefore place great emphasis on Sorocaba’s marginalized and vulnerable community groups. The city envisages learning opportunities being available for everyone.
Challenges and goals
Sorocaba faces challenges in enhancing individual empowerment and social cohesion. By providing learning programmes that target marginalized groups, the city aims to create a society with equal opportunities and equal access.
Plan and implementation
Sorocaba recognizes the importance of setting strategic pillars in the development of a learning city. The city’s action plan therefore includes the following aspects:
- Civic engagement: the city will facilitate engagement by citizens in the planning and implementation of their learning activities.
- Sustainability: Sorocaba will incorporate sustainable development into the learning city initiative.
- Health awareness: health awareness campaigns form a vital part of learning programmes, as Brazil is prone to exposure to diseases that pose serious health risks.
- Access to public utilities: the city will ensure public access to treated water, sanitation and electricity, as well as access to opportunities for inclusive economic growth.
- Stakeholder involvement: Sorocaba will promote a wide involvement in the public and private sectors.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.