- City population:347,104
- City/Urban area:73.02
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 27,221
- Average number of years of schooling:11.6
Ulsan Nam-gu, Republic of Korea
The ‘Learning Garden’ city
Ulsan Nam-gu is the only city in the Republic of Korea to have been designated a special whale culture zone. It is ranked first both for the number of enterprises and for the number of lifelong education institutions located in the metropolitan area.
Vision and motivation
A lifelong education project is being implemented using available resources in line with its vision: ‘Ulsan Nam-gu, a Learning Garden city pursuing sustainable growth based on learning’.
Challenges and goals
Ulsan Nam-gu is striving to improve the quality of local residents’ lives by becoming a global lifelong learning city; to strengthen communication between families and local communities through learning; and to revitalize local communities by fostering a culture of participation among residents.
Plan and implementation
Ulsan Nam-gu is realizing its vision by establishing lifelong learning strategies through projects based on the categories laid down in the 5S ‘Garden-oriented Learning Development’ (Gold) project, which are as follows:
- Special: Securing administrative lifelong learning expertise to strengthen competences.
- Space: Providing lectures and supporting study circles so that anyone can learn, at any time and anywhere.
- Sharing: Creating new jobs by fostering the sharing and donation of lifelong learning skills.
- System: Strengthening lifelong learning through a system of village schools and community centres designed to establish a lifelong learning culture.
- Society: Promoting ‘Good Father Classes’ and ‘Families for the Formation of Lifelong Learning Communities’.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.