- City population:144,449
- City/Urban area:387
- Population Density:Between 300 and 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between USD 15,000 and USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 18,002
- Average number of years of schooling:10
Focusing on special education and social integration
Volos is a city with a rich history and cultural heritage, particularly in the areas of architecture, the arts, education, industry and transport. In Greek myth, it is the birthplace of many legendary figures. Today, it is known as a trading hub thanks to its busy port.
Vision and Motivation
Volos has always recognized the value of research and lifelong learning. It strives to promote principles that will help its young people broaden their horizons. The city believes that education is of the utmost importance in improving the lives of its citizens. Volos’ participation in the Global Network of Learning Cities will strengthen its efforts to promote education and culture.
Challenges and Goals
The city faces challenges relating to:
- economic prosperity and cultural development;
- individual empowerment and cultural prosperity; and
Plan and Implementation
Volos has successfully promoted diversity through conferences, scientific meetings and workshops. It has provided citizens with lifelong learning and training opportunities, and strengthened their cultural and communication skills. The city plans to establish institutions to provide education for people with special needs. Volos also plans to carry out programmes to:
- reinforce social cohesion;
- integrate immigrants;
- strengthen Education for Sustainable Development;
- foster cultural awareness; and
- promote scientific causes through the use of technology.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.