Become a member
Join the UNESCO GNLC and enjoy the following benefits:
Receive guidance and support
- Access tools and strategies for developing learning cities.
- Get insights into best practice from the latest research and practice reports.
- Keep up to date on learning city developments.
Be part of a dynamic network
- Exchange information with other learning cities.
- Communicate with a network of experts and professionals.
- Build partnerships.
- Host conferences and meetings.
Enjoy recognition for your efforts
- Share your milestones and inspire other cities.
- Showcase your city.
- Apply for the UNESCO Learning City Award.
Contribute to the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda by becoming a learning city, thereby ensuring ‘inclusive and equitable quality education’ and promoting ‘lifelong learning opportunities for all’ (Sustainable Development Goal 4) and making your city ‘inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable’ (Sustainable Development Goal 11).
How to apply?
Your city government can apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Commit to developing a learning city.
Step 2: Adopt the Guiding Documents of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities.
Step 3: Complete the application form.
Step 4: Ensure the application form is signed and stamped by the mayor.
Step 5: Email the application form to your country’s National Commission for UNESCO for endorsement, making sure to cc the Secretariat of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (learningcities(at)unesco.org).
For more details about membership and the application process, please consult the membership concept.
For further information, please contact:
UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel.: +49 40 44 80 41 0
Fax.: +49 40 41 077 23