Become a member
Join the UNESCO GNLC and enjoy the following benefits:
The UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC) is an international policy-oriented network comprised of cities committed to implement lifelong learning for all.
Be part of a dynamic network
- Connect with other learning cities with common interests, tackle similar issues and cultivate similar development agendas.
- Communicate with a network of experts and professionals specializing in the field of lifelong learning.
Promote your experience as a learning city
- Share your milestones and progress through the communication channels of the UNESCO GNLC.
- Participate in the learning city case studies to share your experiences and achievements with the rest of the world.
- Be eligible for the UNESCO Learning City Award.
Receive guidance and support
- Access tools and strategies for developing learning cities (e.g. training modules and video tutorials on how to build a learning city).
- Get insights into best practice from the latest research and practice reports.
- Receive news updates on learning city developments around the world from the UNESCO GNLC.
How to apply?
Your city government can apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Consult the UNESCO GNLC membership regulations and share them with relevant stakeholders in your city.
Step 2: Commit to implementing the Guiding Documents of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities.
Step 3: Complete the membership application form and seek formal endorsement by the mayor of your city.
Step 4: Email the application form to your National Commission for UNESCO between 1 March and 30 April for endorsement, copying in the UNESCO GNLC coordination team (email@example.com).
The National Commission for UNESCO has one month (1 to 31 May) to take a decision and will forward the application to the coordination team and send a copy to you.
For further information, please contact:
UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel.: +49 40 44 80 41 44
Fax.: +49 40 41 077 23