- City population:260,753
- City/Urban area:380
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 2,529
- Average number of years of schooling:13
The cradle of culture and good flavor
Cantarranas is a small city located in the central department of Francisco Morazán and was established in 1667 by Spanish colonial rulers as a food producer town. In the city, there are nice rivers and pools to swing and natural protected areas.
Vision and Motivation
Cantarranas envisages a city of learning as a place in which its citizens have access to opportunities at all stages of life and can therefore contribute to the municipality’s integral development.
Cantarranas' Municipal Corporation has agreed to create a municipal development plan that proposes opportunities for formal and technical education, diverse training, motivating entrepreneurship, cultural growth and community resilience.
Challenges and Goals
The formal education system supports the municipality in increasing the level of education, and this forms a part of the city’s efforts to develop as a learning city. However, Cantarranas also recognizes the necessity for further efforts in promoting and encouraging:
- equality in education
- sustainability and resilience
- artistic, recreational and cultural growth.
Plan and Implementation
Cantarranas is currently designing a strategic plan for municipal development until the year 2026, which will promote growth as a city of learning by:
- providing permanent support to formal education systems, ensuring equal access among citizens, improving installations, didactic materials, educational technology, and curricula, and establishing strategic alliances.
- strengthening the cultural, culinary and artistic values that Cantarranas holds, and giving citizens access to spaces adapted for the improvement of their knowledge and skills.
- promoting artistic and sporting activities through the Municipal Institute of Sports, Art and Culture (INMUDE+AC) so that every citizen can improve their skills and well-being.
- creating an enterprising community with access to permanent training, new technologies and financial resources that complies with the relevant regulations and guidelines.
- promoting civil participation at any age level to contribute to sustainable development and community resilience.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.