- City population:195,454
- City/Urban area:68.68
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD 28,338
- Average number of years of schooling:20
Daedeok-gu, Republic of Korea
Building a learning cities through communication and harmony
Daedeok-gu, in the city of Daejeon, has a proud tradition of educational and cultural development going back thousands years. As reflected in our motto, ‘Learning changes people and the people change the society’, we believe that learning changes people for the better, and that those changed people are the drivers of regional growth.
Vision and motivation
Daedeok-gu was designated a ‘Lifelong Academic City’ by the Ministry of Education in 2007 and launched the country’s first consumer-oriented learning service: the Course Delivery Service. In 2010, our growth potential as a lifelong learning city was recognized and we were awarded a national lifelong learning prize. Six years later, in 2016, Daedeok-gu developed ‘Mungori-Learning’, a vision to build a happy learning city for all citizens. Daedeok-gu is now ready to share its passion for learning with the international community through the UNESCO GNLC.
Challenges and goals
To develop the Mungori-Learning concept. ‘Mungori’ means doorknob in Korean; the Mungori-Learning concept is therefore one that opens the door of life learning.
Plan and implementation
- Learning for a new start, which includes:
- learning support tailored for each generation;
- learning support for underprivileged groups;
- the creation of regional learning-based jobs.
- Learning together, which includes:
- fostering and supporting learning groups;
- fostering a culture of sharing lifelong learning experiences;
- building a happy learning community.
- Learning to communicate, which includes:
- strengthening cooperation among learning organizations;
- strengthening capabilities of lifelong learning bodies;
- revitalize the information network of lifelong learning.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.