- City population:98,018
- City/Urban area:95
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between USD 10,000 and USD 15,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 23,679
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Dongducheon, Republic of Korea
An ‘All Together’ Learning City
Dongducheon has a vision of an ‘all together’ learning city, where communities learn and share collectively. The city’s volunteer-led English classes, which are run by both foreign and local volunteers, are a prime example of Dongducheon’s inclusive learning concept.
Vision and Motivation
Dongducheon endeavours to be a sustainable city whose citizens enjoy a work/life balance. This is achieved through an open and flexible learning environment. Communities are encouraged to learn together and share with each other.
Challenges and Goals
Dongducheon tries to implement lifelong learning for all based on the following challenges.
- Providing an education/work/life balance for all
- Economic empowerment and cultural prosperity
- Learning in the workplace
- Extensive use of modern learning technologies
Plan and Implementation
Dongducheonestablished its five-year learning city plan in 2015. The mayor’s strong commitment to this plan encourages stakeholders to become involved in its development. The high number of local volunteers also facilitates the city’s learning city goals. A learning centre operates based on the principle ‘by the people and for the people’. The city has already launched initiatives in the following areas:
- Encouraging inclusive learning, learning in families and in communities
- Creating a widespread culture of learning
- Improving governance and participation of all stakeholders
- Mobilization and utilization of resources
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.