- City population:3,747,942
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
A green oasis in the deserts of Egypt
A green oasis in the deserts of Egypt, Fayoum is a popular destination for fishing and is home to various ancient monuments. It has 2,000 institutions of pre-university education where 727,020 students are enrolled, and 20 faculties and colleges.
Vision and Strategy
Fayoum’s goal is to become a lifelong learning city in order to enhance the scientific, economic and social status of its citizens. Its aims are to empowering individuals, reinforce social cohesiveness, and support economic and comprehensive development, as well as cultural and educational prosperity. It is working towards reinforcing political will and commitment to lifelong learning by developing and implementing well-established strategies. By joining the UNESCO GNLC, Fayoum wants to focus on the educational and environmental sectors.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
The directorates of housing, agriculture and health play important roles in providing support to citizens. The city therefore plans to carry out cooperative actions among these authorities and directorates. For example, the health directorate will provide better service through health convoys, and training courses will be developed for the directorate of health staff.
Equity and inclusion
- Fayoum follows the Egyptian strategies to provide education for children. The city provides solutions to drop-out students, such as building schools on farms to ensure students’ enrolment. Some citizens donate land to build schools on, while the government and the directorate of education build the schools, provide equipment and hire teachers.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- Fayoum intends to attract investors to boost local tourism. Projects have been implemented in the area of religious tourism to visit mosques and ancient churches, along with activities to see local attractions.
The Decent Life Initiative
- This project aims to alleviate the burdens of citizens in the neediest communities in the countryside and urban slums. It implements a set of services and development activities to improve the living conditions of citizens in these areas.
STEM schools for science
- STEM schools for science, mathematics and modern technology have been established for outstanding students in secondary education.
- Tunis Village is a tourist destination where villagers are trained on handicrafts and marketing of their products.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.