- City population:102,684
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- Average number of years of schooling:13
A city of opportunities
Girona is a city of opportunities that has welcomed people from other regions and countries to create a highly diverse municipality.
Vision and Strategy
We believe that lifelong learning should enable all citizens to achieve two objectives: personal development, which will allow individuals to pursue their life projects, achieve their personal and professional goals, and feel fulfilled; and social inclusion, reducing inequalities among the population as a whole, and achieving a fairer and more egalitarian society.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- The city focuses on promoting and training citizens in health issues, from both an individual and a community perspective. Viewed holistically, health is integral to development, social inclusion and more sustainable cities.
Equity and inclusion
- The city’s strategy includes projects that promote educational equity, e.g. by combating school segregation, ensuring the equitable distribution of resources, and creating individual learning itineraries that reflect individuals’ needs and interests.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- Girona has established a training council comprising different actors involved in vocational training, career guidance and employment. It has also launched Youth Spaces, a project that helps young people to design their own training itineraries.
Girona learning city interactive map
- The map shows the location of all training and learning initiatives available in the local area, and includes an explanation for each one.
- The INTRO project provides citizens with training in the use of new information and communication technologies, thereby tackling the digital divide in education.
- Learning Catalan is key to facilitating the inclusion of people who have recently arrived in Girona. Hence, language courses are offered by the City Consortium for Linguistic Normalization.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.
Ms Marta Madrenas i Mir
Contact PersonMs Maria Àngels Porxas Roig