- City population:166,590
- City/Urban area:132
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP - country:USD 21,961
- Average number of years of schooling:14.2
Inclusive education for all
Located in the east of Portugal’s metropolitan Porto area, Gondomar features both urban and rural landscapes. By joining the UNESCO GNLC, Gondomar hopes to advance its educational system for all its citizens.
Vision and motivation
Education is a fundamental right and is essential for personal and societal development. With that in mind, Gondomar City Council hopes to create a modern education system that ensure inclusive learning and offers special provision for people with disabilities.
Challenges and goals
Gondomar has identified the following area to address:
- Identifying educational demands for people with disabilities.
- Promoting participation in learning activities.
- Addressing the limited number of learning spaces in the city.
Plan and implementation
Gondomar has developed action plans at both policy and practice levels.
The city council has developed a ‘Municipal Special Education Strategic Plan’, which includes the following features:
- A focus on special education, including the establishment of an observatory for special education and support inclusive learning.
- Expand internships that offer young people the opportunity to experience various professions.
Gondomar City Council will strengthen its collaboration with partners to further develop an inclusive education system.
The city will transform public spaces into learning areas so that every individual has access to learning materials at all times.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.