- City population:1,042,285
- City/Urban area:268,05
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 28,338
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Goyang, Republic of Korea
Building a home of lifelong learning for one million citizens
Home to more than one million citizens, Goyang is located just 20 minutes north of Seoul by train.
Vision and Motivation
Goyang joined the UNESCO GNLC in 2016 to provide a better quality of educational opportunities for its citizens. Goyang envisages a city in which lifelong learning opportunities that relate to work, family life, leisure and public events are available to every citizen.
Challenges and Goals
Goyang already has a solid ground for developing as a learning city, but faces some challenges in promoting a widespread culture of learning throughout the city.
Goyang will use the opportunity of developing a learning city to enhance individual empowerment and social cohesion and to further promote economic development, cultural prosperity and sustainability.
Plan and Implementation
The city of Goyang has a detailed plan for implementing lifelong learning that includes the following aspects:
- Enhancing infrastructure for lifelong learning systems: the city will support the construction of learning communities, community education clubs and a citizen’s community university.
- Expanding access to lifelong learning: the city will expand access continuously by building libraries, community centers and education institutions.
- Engaging citizens: the city places a great deal of importance on engaging individuals to plan and implement their lifelong learning activities.
- Increasing the budget for education: the city has increased its total budget for lifelong learning initiatives by more than 5 per cent.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.