- City population:213,055
- City/Urban area:161
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 27,340
- Average number of years of schooling:11
Icheon, Republic of Korea
Becoming an Enterprising World-Class City
Learning is a useful tool for changing the direction of and improving the quality of life. Icheon has therefore promoted systematic learning opportunities since it was designated a lifelong learning city.
Vision and Motivation
Icheon’s vision is to be a ‘city of happiness and a city for the citizens’. Many lifelong learning programmes have been developed to achieve this vision; however, the local government is also keen to introduce the lifelong learning concepts of other countries.
Challenges and Goals
The goal of Icheon’s lifelong learning initiative is to provide engaging activities for all.
- Providing all citizens with learning opportunities
- Developing learning circles
- Designing learning programmes for older people
- Providing information regarding diverse cultural experiences
- Hosting a festival for learners
Plan and Implementation
Those living in the city’ more rural areas may find it difficult to take part in some activities; therefore, the city municipality tries to implement diverse plans to help its citizens get involved. These include:
- Securing different learning facilities such as a learning centre, libraries and centres for older people.
- Developing varied programmes in which all citizens can take part.
- Providing customized learning programmes for those living in rural areas.
- Implementing activities aimed at underprivileged communities.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.