- City population:207,122
- City/Urban area:42.73
- Population Density:More than 500 inhabitants per km²
- GDP – city:Between USD 15,000 and USD 25,000
- GDP - country:USD$ 27,195
- Average number of years of schooling:11.4
Osan, Republic of Korea
Forging a common identity through lifelong learning
By placing lifelong learning at the forefront, Osan wants to strengthen the sense of community and involve every citizen.
Vision and Motivation
Due to recent and rapid demographic growth, this young city now needs to reinforce its identity. To create a real sense of belonging, Osan has decided to focus on education. By coining the expression “Education City, Osan”, the city announces its choice to become a learning city and conveys to its citizens the importance of lifelong learning.
Challenges and Goals
Social cohesion is at the centre of Osan’s objectives in building a learning city. In particular, the city faces the following challenges:
- recovering a sense of community
- involving all stakeholders
- fostering learning in families and communities
- extending the use of modern learning technologies
Plan and Implementation
Osan is firmly convinced that lifelong learning can provide a foundation for sustainable social cohesion. By creating a learning city, Osan wants to involve all citizens in community life.
To implement this, three objectives were set:
- To involve educational businesses: the “Delivery Lecture, Run and Learn” business is an example of a particularly successful lifelong learning programme offering educational services.
- To promote the Learning Village programmes, which turn villages into playgrounds, workplaces and learning places with a joyful atmosphere.
- To form a consultative group: the “Circle Project” involves 1004 leaders from different industries.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.