- City population:314,331
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
- Average number of years of schooling:11
Pachuca de Soto, Mexico
An important metropolitan area
Pachuca de Soto is the capital city of the state of Hidalgo, located 93 km from Mexico City. This strategic location associated with the communications network connects more than 25 million people in the most important metropolitan area of the country. Retail trade is the main economic activity.
Vision and Strategy
Pachuca de Soto’s lifelong learning plan is based on three strategic axes: first, quality of education, promoting learning and knowledge as the main objective of social development; second, preventive health, strengthening healthy habits and lifestyles among citizens through programmes that improve their own health and their environment’s; third, art and culture, promoting spaces and environments for the creation of artistic and cultural activities that strengthen the social fabric of the municipality.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- The city’s health strategy focuses on promoting the well-being of the population through programmes, campaigns, intervention of spaces and education to create adherence to healthy habits. Sustainability is addressed through five strategic themes: protection of the environment, flora and fauna; sustainable mobility; planning and management; sustainable infrastructure; and quality services.
Equity and inclusion
- Active participation between the local government and citizens is fostered to ensure effective and inclusive institutional levels of accountability. The municipal government set up two initiatives to achieve this: the Coordination of Attention to Priority Population and Sexual Diversity, and the Coordination of Citizen Participation, Attention to Civil Society Organizations and Collectives.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- Pachuca de Soto links business and education sectors, creating spaces in which technology, science and innovation contribute to the knowledge economy. Moreover, economic productivity is boosted through technological modernization and innovation.
Integral System of Reinforcement for Basic Education (SIREB)
- SIREB is a digital support system aimed at facilitating and reinforcing the knowledge and skills development of basic education students.
Pachuca City of Knowledge and Culture
- A technology centre that concentrates multiple organisations, in addition to companies that generate, apply and transfer knowledge and technology, promoting innovation under a model that links and promotes alliances between these actors with identity and social impact. The centre is designed to foster the development of products with high added value through innovative knowledge.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.