- City population:23,611
- GDP – city:Between USD 15,000 and USD 25,000
- Average number of years of schooling:12.1
Micro-, small- and medium-sized companies
Most jobs in Ptuj are created by the processing industry, mainly food processing of chicken meat and the metal processing for automotive components. Business is mostly conducted by micro-, small- and medium-sized companies.
Vision and Strategy
As a learning city, Ptuj hopes to improve the quality of education at all levels of formal education using modern learning technologies. Its medium-term goals are to reduce drop-out rates in primary and secondary education, increase the level of vocational education, the number of tertiary education graduates and the percentage of those enrolled in lifelong learning programmes.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- Ptuj’s lifelong learning strategy is harmonized with the lifelong learning strategy of Slovenia. At the city level, there is an environmental protection strategy and an action plan for the annual health and environmental impact assessment. In the ‘My clean and healthy city project’, curricula on related topics is taught in kindergartens to secondary school.
Equity and inclusion
- When it comes to equity and inclusion, Ptuj addresses the needs of vulnerable groups at all levels of education, providing adequate infrastructure and pedagogical staff. Blind and visually impaired citizens, for example, can attend training with the help of a guide dog. Programmes to learn Slovene are also provided to immigrants.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- The city promotes socially and environmentally responsible entrepreneurship. To tackle youth unemployment, a four-month entrepreneurial training course in which participants develop and realize their own entrepreneurial ideas through mentoring and comprehensive assistance has been developed.
Practical training for higher education students
- The special feature of Ptuj’s regional college and higher education centre is its strong cooperation with the economic sectors: students must complete four months of practical training in each year of their studies.
- An initiative of Ptuj elementary schools in cooperation with the Slovenian National Commission for UNESCO, this project promotes sports, culture, economy and civil society.
- The main goals of the project are to inspire young people and teach them that an active body means an active brain, to make exercise and healthy eating the way of life of generation "y" and generation "z", and to connect and cooperate through sport. The 7th edition of the UNESCO ASP Run of Youth took place in 2021.
ICT in education projects
- Projects implemented by the Scientific Research Centre Bistra Ptuj including the ‘Bionics in technology’ higher education programme and the ‘Advanced technologies and learning companies’ programme – promote computer literacy and professional education on sustainable development.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.