- City population:345,022
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
A multicultural and economically diverse city
Ras Al Khaimah is located in the northern part of the United Arab Emirates. Its strategic location led to the establishment of commerce with other regions. The city’s economy is diverse, as no economic sector constitutes more than 30 per cent of its GDP. As the population comprises nationals and expatriates from around 200 countries, schools and cultural centres support people from different ethnic backgrounds.
Vision and Strategy
Ras Al Khaimah’s vision is to ensure the availability and accessibility of quality education to create a community of educated and cultured people developing their full potential. To achieve this goal, the city establishes partnerships to increase accessibility to high-quality lifelong learning, continually improves the digital education infrastructure and encourages participation in online learning platforms, among others. The municipality develops programmes according to these objectives, including the establishment of guidelines for continuing education and improving the availability of quality education across a range of fee levels.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
The city integrates aspects of sustainability in the curricula of primary and secondary schools. Furthermore, it conducts outreach programmes and initiatives that disseminate knowledge about sustainability and public health. Examples of the latter include the Environmental Sustainability Award, the Estidama app and the Student Team Awards.
Equity and inclusion
- Ras Al Khaimah provides education to diverse groups of society by offering schools with different fee levels, scholarships for immigrants and low-income students, and remote adult education programmes with the option to take part in official national examinations. Inclusive programmes and facilities enable persons with disabilities to integrate into the formal school system.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- In addition to universities in the city offering courses on entrepreneurship, the municipality also organizes events to help residents find educational and employment opportunities. The city also has an incubator programme for young entrepreneurs and offers international professional certification to students and employees.
Tabadul (exchange) programme
- Coordinated by the Emirates Association for Social Development, members of society with special skills and knowledge share their expertise with others.
Ras Al Khaimah Prison Programme
- Comprising a prison library that houses over 2,500 educational and recreational books, magazines and newspapers in different languages, alongside access to 50 laptops with digital resources and educational courses, this programme aims to develop inmates’ skills and help them reintegrate into the community.
Skills development framework for jobseekers
- The framework consists of several development programmes, including upskilling to raise the level of capabilities and skills, reskilling to retrain employees for new job roles, in-skilling to facilitate the integration of new graduates, C-skilling to encourage acquiring certifications, and L-skilling to prepare supervisors to occupy higher managerial positions.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.