- City population:84,435
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
Leveraging innovation and the next-generation economy
The steel manufacturing industry of Reșița has been in continuous decline since 1989; in response, the city’s aim is to leverage innovation and the next-generation economy to create jobs for its multi-ethnic and multicultural community.
Vision and Strategy
Reșița’s learning city strategy will support the empowerment and professionalization of educators while also providing concrete interventions to persons with disabilities. Moreover, by promoting a lifelong learning ecosystem, the city hopes to provide a diversification of learning contexts, and innovation in institutional learning and community learning. With this strategy, Reșița hopes to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education, reduce inequalities, develop decent work, make the city safe, sustainable and resilient, and create new partnerships.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- Aspects of health are integrated under one of the learning city objectives, which aims to encourage all citizens to take part in healthy activities in existing and future sport and leisure facilities, which have been built with a strong green component.
Equity and inclusion
- Reșița addresses the challenges of vulnerable populations through a complex programme of professional training, juridical assistance and health support. Additionally, the Roma community are encouraged to participate in the labour market and adult learning.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- An entrepreneurship programme dedicated to local tourism has been developed and will be expanded to support the development of small initiatives, offering work opportunities to new sectors. Reșița also has developed a local financing programme to promote professional inclusion to people living in rural areas.
Entrepreneurship in Motion
- For this programme, 15 young entrepreneurs have been supported to further develop their ideas in the field of green sports and eco-tourism. The supported measures are directed towards the empowerment of the local workforce and the promotion of a healthy environment.
Hala Minda Project
- A revitalization project of former industrial buildings based on the cooperation between traditional metal industry companies and partner schools, the Hala Minda Project also promotes community engagement through consultation and by offering lectures on sculpture.
The Six Streets
- This rehabilitation project of the riverside brings together the community and local authorities, the latter of which is involved in urban planning to promote and protect the local environment.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.