- City population:372,431
- GDP – city:More than USD 25,000
- Average number of years of schooling:12
Sejong, Republic of Korea
The youngest city in the Republic of Korea
As the youngest city in the Republic of Korea, Sejong prides itself on being a woman and elderly-friendly city which actively supports and provides lifelong learning opportunities to all. Village community centres, the Reading City movement, and being recognized as an inclusive lifelong learning city for people with disabilities showcase Sejong’s progress within the realms of education and lifelong learning.
Vision and Strategy
Lifelong learning will help Sejong create a future-oriented city where citizen can learn and engage in local experiences. Becoming a UNESCO GNLC member will enable Sejong to share experiences, practices and expertise with member cities and pursue development through information exchange and participation in GNLC activities on lifelong education, skills and the environment. Sejong’s lifelong learning strategy involves creating a learning ecosystem focused on the following initiatives: Citizens Learning Boulevard, Sejong Learning Boulevard, Future Learning Boulevard and World Learning Boulevard.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- Lifelong learning initiatives are present in villages and delivered through platforms such as Sejong Institute for Lifelong Education, Sejong Citizen College and the Sejong Learning Centre. Mental and physical health education, suicide prevention and overcoming ‘Corona blue’ are also prioritized. Education programmes on environmental awareness and protection have also been strengthened.
Equity and inclusion
- Lifelong learning is available to all residents including migrants, who are offered language classes. Online platforms such as the learning management system for the Sejong Citizen College enable lifelong learning programmes to reach those facing time and space constraints. Education on culture, arts and employment is provided for marginalized populations.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- Sejong is training assistants for the disabled population, providing entrepreneurship education for those in their 50s and 60s, offering social contribution activities for retirees, establishing manufacturing plants for start-ups, and setting up offices for college students and start-up founders. The city is also ensuring to align education with work.
Sejong Citizen College
- The Sejong Citizen College, the city’s flagship lifelong learning initiative, is a lifelong education platform that delivers specialized programmes across various fields through community centres.
Citizens' Sovereignty College
- The Citizens’ Sovereignty College provides a customized village planning course and a village activist training course, which support activities in villages to strengthen citizens’ democratic citizenship capacities.
- The Policy Academy, an education programme that encourages workplace learning, enables public officials and citizens to learn about and enhance their understanding of different local policies.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.