- City population:947,755
- GDP – city:Less than USD 10,000
- Average number of years of schooling:8
A rich cultural heritage
Warangal’s economy is primarily composed of agricultural, industrial and service sectors. The city has a rich cultural heritage and welcomes 3.2 million tourists every year, making it one of the major tourist attractions in India.
Vision and Strategy
Warangal views lifelong learning as the path to achieving a green and healthy living environment. Through its lifelong learning initiative, the city plants trees, develops more recreational areas, improves facilities and governance, and provides job opportunities for marginalized groups. The city also aims to promote social cohesion by hosting events, festivals and awareness campaigns to encourage citizens to participate in public activities.
Policies, Plan and Implementation
Sustainability and health
- The city has developed a city-level urban policy framework that focuses on providing civic facilities and promoting healthy living. As part of this framework, learning spaces and platforms for citizens to participate in decision-making processes have been developed with incentives for participating and contributing to achieving the strategic goals.
Equity and inclusion
- Warangal has implemented several strategies to promote equity and inclusion, including the Women and Child Welfare policy, Urban Policy, and the creation of an advisory committee to monitor and evaluate the impact of initiatives on marginalized groups.
Decent work and entrepreneurship
- The municipality has created skill development centres to identify training needs and provide training in those areas that will contribute to economic development and reduce unemployment. The collaborative approach between the city, the district, NGOs and educational institutions guarantees that resources are shared to promote entrepreneurship.
Promoting healthy environments for children and caregivers
- With the objective of making neighbourhoods safe and friendly, several initiatives have been implemented; these include renovating local schools, improving road safety, and providing interactive games for children.
Free training for the transgender community
- Free training leading to employment opportunities is provided to the transgender community. Training in maintenance and pharmaceutics are just two of the options available.
- Over 125,000 citizens belong to various self-help groups throughout the city, which address women, people with disabilities, marginalized and vulnerable communities.
UIL is not responsible for the content of this city profile.