A national qualifications framework (NQF) is an instrument used to classify a country’s qualifications at different levels. Each level is defined by a set of learning outcomes expected at that level. NQFs can be useful tools in education and training reforms and are vital reference points for lifelong learning and comparing qualifications across borders.
The Global inventory of regional and national qualifications frameworks 2017, Volume 1: Thematic chapters comprises eight thematic chapters, charting developments in national and regional qualifications frameworks worldwide. It shows that countries around the world see NQFs as instruments for reforming their qualifications systems to improve transparency, relevance and quality of qualifications, as well as widening access and opening up pathways to learning opportunities.
In its eight thematic chapters, the publication sheds light on:
- the purposes and impacts of frameworks;
- the role of frameworks as catalysts for lifelong learning; and
- the role of NQFs in promoting international and global communication and cooperation.
This third edition (the first two editions appeared in 2013 and 2015) of the Global Inventory of Regional and National Qualifications Frameworks is published at a time when the attention being paid to qualifications frameworks is rising, as evidenced by the UN’s Education 2030 Framework for Action and Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4, which calls on countries to promote inclusive and equitable education and lifelong learning opportunities for all. Outcomes-based qualifications frameworks can contribute directly to achieving this goal.
The Global Inventory of Regional and National Qualifications Frameworks 2017, Volume I is the result of collaborative work developed by the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop), the European Training Foundation (ETF), UNESCO and the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL).
- Autor/Editor: European Centre for Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop); European Training Foundation (ETF); United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO); UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL)
- The Global Inventory of Regional and National Qualifications Frameworks 2017, Volume I: Thematic chapters
- The European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop), 2017
- ISBN 978-92-896-2483-1
- Disponible en: Inglés