Vacant Post: Coordinator of UNESCO's Literacy Initiative for Empowerment (LIFE)
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Announcement, 25 March 2009
UIL Launches New Database on Effective Practice in Literacy and Numeracy
Post Title: Senior Programme Specialist
(Appointment of Limited Duration, ALD)
Organisational Unit: UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL)
Duty Station: Hamburg, Germany
Period: 01 April 2009- 31 March 2010 (renewable one year depending on
Closing Date: 15 February 2009
Terms of Reference
Under the authority of the Director of the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning, the Senior Programme Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Coordination of UIL’s activities and technical backup with regard to UNESCO’s Literacy Initiative for Empowerment (LIFE), especially those included in and covered by CapEFA. Provide technical assistance to Member States, in line with the country programme plans and objectives, to meet the LIFE objectives and to strengthen national capacities and improve literacy policies, programmes and practices, in particular in the framework of UNESCO’s extra-budgetary Programme “Capacity Development for EFA 2009-2010” (CapEFA).
- In coordination with Regional Bureaus and Field Offices, design and facilitate implementation of a relevant strategy in support of the CapEFA literacy and NFE projects and integrate them within LIFE.
- Design and help conduct, upon request, training workshops in the areas of a) policy formulation, b) curriculum development, c) promoting gender perspectives in literacy, d) training for trainers, e) monitoring and evaluation, and f) management of multilingualism and cultural diversity.
- Contribute to the overall monitoring and evaluation of the CapEFA literacy and NFE projects, with a special emphasis on knowledge-generation and sharing, with the aim to ensure good quality, effectiveness and sustainability.
- Support advocacy and communication activities to raise awareness for and provide visibility to CapEFA, LIFE as UNESCO’s flagship initiative within the UNLD and EFA
- Promote networking and partnership building in support of the implementation of LIFE and the literacy component of CapEFA in particular at the country and international levels.
- Preparation of professional reports on the basis of regular monitoring, assessment and evaluation of CapEFA activities and LIFE in general.