Become a member
Join the UNESCO GNLC and enjoy the following benefits:
The UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC) is an international policy-oriented network comprised of cities committed to implement lifelong learning for all.
Be part of a dynamic network
- Connect with other learning cities with common interests, tackle similar issues and cultivate similar development agendas.
- Communicate with a network of experts and professionals specializing in the field of lifelong learning.
Promote your experience as a learning city
- Share your milestones and progress through the communication channels of the UNESCO GNLC.
- Participate in the learning city case studies to share your experiences and achievements with the rest of the world.
- Be eligible for the UNESCO Learning City Award.
Receive guidance and support
- Access tools and strategies for developing learning cities (e.g. training modules and video tutorials on how to build a learning city).
- Get insights into best practice from the latest research and practice reports.
- Receive news updates on learning city developments around the world from the UNESCO GNLC.
How to apply?
Your city government can apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Before submitting the application, any applying city is requested to consult the UNESCO GNLC membership regulations as outlined in the membership concept note.
Step 2: Committ to implement the Guiding Documents of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities.
Step 3: Complete the membership application form.
Step 4: Email the application form to your country’s National Commission for UNESCO for endorsement, with copy to the Coordination Team of the UNESCO GNLC (email@example.com).
Step 5: Once the National Commission for UNESCO has endorsed your membership by signing the application (Part 2), it will forward the complete application to the Coordination Team of the UNESCO GNLC at the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL) (firstname.lastname@example.org) and send a copy to you. Alternatively, your city can submit the final application directly to the UNESCO GNLC Coordination Team, copying in the National Commission for UNESCO after its endorsement.
For more details about membership and the application process, please consult the membership concept.
For further information, please contact:
UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel.: +49 40 44 80 41 64
Fax.: +49 40 41 077 23