Become a member
This means that cities can now submit their application at any time up to 30 June 2020. National Commissions have one month further, until 31 July 2020, to endorse the applications.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Join the UNESCO GNLC and enjoy the following benefits:
The UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC) is an international policy-oriented network comprised of cities committed to implement lifelong learning for all.
Be part of a dynamic network
- Connect with other learning cities with common interests, tackle similar issues and cultivate similar development agendas.
- Communicate with a network of experts and professionals specializing in the field of lifelong learning.
Promote your experience as a learning city
- Share your milestones and progress through the communication channels of the UNESCO GNLC.
- Participate in the learning city case studies to share your experiences and achievements with the rest of the world.
- Be eligible for the UNESCO Learning City Award.
Receive guidance and support
- Access tools and strategies for developing learning cities (e.g. training modules and video tutorials on how to build a learning city).
- Get insights into best practice from the latest research and practice reports.
- Receive news updates on learning city developments around the world from the UNESCO GNLC.
How to apply?
Your city government can apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Consult the UNESCO GNLC membership regulations and share them with relevant stakeholders in your city.
Step 2: Commit to implementing the Guiding Documents of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities.
Step 3: Complete the membership application form and seek formal endorsement by the mayor of your city.
Step 4: Email the application form to your National Commission for UNESCO between 1 March and 30 June 2020 for endorsement, copying in the UNESCO GNLC coordination team (email@example.com).
The National Commission for UNESCO has one month to take a decision and will forward the application to the coordination team and send a copy to you.
For further information, please contact:
UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel.: +49 40 44 80 41 44
Fax.: +49 40 41 077 23