Become a member
The UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC) is an international policy-oriented network comprised of cities committed to implement lifelong learning for all.
What are the requirements for becoming a member?
In order to join the network, the municipality should pursue the vision of providing lifelong learning and becoming a learning city, in the spirit of the values and objectives guiding UNESCO in pursuit of dialogue and international cooperation.
Be part of a dynamic network
- Connect with other learning cities with common interests, tackle similar issues and cultivate similar development agendas.
- Communicate with a network of experts and professionals specializing in the field of lifelong learning.
Promote your experience as a learning city
- Share your milestones and progress through the communication channels of the UNESCO GNLC.
- Participate in the learning city case studies to share your experiences and achievements with the rest of the world.
- Be eligible for the UNESCO Learning City Award.
Receive guidance and support
- Access tools and strategies for developing learning cities (e.g. training modules and video tutorials on how to build a learning city).
- Get insights into best practice from the latest research and practice reports.
- Receive news updates on learning city developments around the world from the UNESCO GNLC.
How to apply?
The application period opens once every two years. The next open application round will be in autumn 2023.
Your city government can apply by following these steps:
Step 1: Consult the UNESCO GNLC membership concept note and share it with relevant stakeholders in your city.
Step 2: Commit to implementing the Guiding Documents of the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities.
Step 3: Complete the membership application form and seek formal endorsement by the mayor of your city.
Step 4: Email the application form to your National Commission for UNESCO for endorsement, copying in the UNESCO GNLC coordination team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further information, please contact:
UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel.: +49 40 44 80 41 44
Fax.: +49 40 41 077 23