Join the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities!
Applications open between 1 September and 1 November 2021
From 1 September to 1 November 2021, cities from UNESCO Member States are invited to apply for membership in the UNESCO Global Network of Learning Cities (GNLC).
The UNESCO GNLC is an international policy-oriented network providing inspiration, know-how and best practice. Members benefit from the sharing of lifelong learning policies and practices, the production and exchange of knowledge on key challenges and solutions, capacity-building and training initiatives, and participation in global events such as the International Conference on Learning Cities.
The 229 members of the network work in clusters on key issues such as education for sustainable development, equity and inclusion, and health and well-being. During the COVID-19 pandemic, UNESCO learning cities have closely worked together to share good practice, strategies and activities to minimise the disruption to learning caused by the pandemic and the resulting lockdown’.
Becoming a learning city
A learning city:
- effectively mobilizes resources in every sector to promote inclusive learning, from basic to higher education;
- revitalizes learning in families and communities;
- facilitates learning for and in the workplace;
- extends the use of modern learning technologies;
- enhances quality and excellence in learning;
- fosters a culture of learning throughout life;
- ...in the spirit of the values and objectives guiding UNESCO in pursuit of dialogue and international cooperation.
UNESCO learning cities enhance individual empowerment and social inclusion, economic development and cultural prosperity as well as sustainable development. They promote literacy and education for global citizenship, entrepreneurship, health and well-being.
Submit your application by 1 November 2021!
Applications must be submitted to the UNESCO National Commission in your country for endorsement and submission to the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning.
National Commissions for UNESCO are invited to submit up to three city membership applications no later than 30 November 2021. We will announce the new GNLC members in February 2022.
UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning
Tel: +49 40 44 80 4144
Fax: +49 40 41 077 23