Adult education is now considered a mainstream academic discipline in several African countries, and its importance in today’s knowledge and “ideas” economies is growing steadily. It is provided by organisations such as public universities, training colleges, corporate universities and employers. The successful operation of educational organisations requires sound leadership and management. Management of Adult Education Organisations in Africa examines African perspectives of managerial leadership, highlighting the importance of management in the design and effective delivery of adult education programmes.
The ten chapters in this book focus on the following:
- Management and diversity
- Leadership in adult education organisations
- Management approaches in Africa
- Human resources development
- Organisational development and change
- Ubuntu embedded leadership and organisational learning
- Planning, implementation and evaluation
- Time management in an organisation
- Financial management
- The challenges and opportunities of managing adult education organisations
Making explicit reference to African models and understandings of management, chapters in Management of Adult Education Organisations in Africa include a set of learning objectives, definitions of key terms and clearly written summaries of the essential information and discussion points. Additional activities, case studies and suggested reading material help to provide a complete resource for students of management in an adult education context. The book will have special appeal to those wishing to learn about and embark on an educational management career. It will also be a useful reference source to those who are already in positions of management and leadership of educational organisations.
The African Perspectives on Adult Learning series was conceived and funded by the UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning and the Institute for International Cooperation of the German Adult Education Association (dvv international).
Download: Management of Adult Education Organisations in Africa (PDF 3.5 MB)
- Author/Editor: Fredrick Muyia Nafukho; Nelson H.W. Wawire; Penina Mungania Lam
- Management of Adult Education Organisations in Africa
- UNESCO Insitute for Lifelong Learning; Institute for International Cooperation of the German Adult Education Association; Adult Education Department of the University of Botswana, 2011
- ISBN 978-18-689-1848-5
- Available in: English